The Power Of Flax Seed
The results from these studies are nothing short of amazing. Following is a list of proven benefits from flaxseed conducted in placebo-controlled, double-blind random trials:
Lower blood pressure - one study concluded that eating 4 tbsp. of flaxseed per day for six months showed significant improvement in blood pressure in patients with chronic progressive arterial disease. Another study showed that “flaxseed induced one of the most potent antihypertensive effects achieved by a dietary intervention”. Systolic blood pressure (the top number) dropped up to 15 points in people with a number typically 140 or over. In people whose systolic was lower than 140, it dropped by 10 points. For the bottom number, or diastolic blood pressure, the number dropped 7 points.
May help prostate issues - Men with swollen prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia) saw significant improvement in the following symptoms with regular consumption of flaxseed lignan extract:
- urination frequency
- nocturne (abnormal frequency of night time urination)
- decreased and intermittent force of stream
- sensation of incomplete bladder emptying
Beneficial to diabetics: Since flaxseed is a great source of fiber, along with lignan’s and Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), it’s helpful for the diabetic by lowering blood sugar when taking 1 tablespoon per day. It has also been shown to prevent sugar cravings, promote fat loss, lower triglycerides, A1C, improve insulin sensitivity and lower C-Reactive Protein, a cardiovascular disease marker.
Helps lower cholesterol - Lowers cholesterol by binding to it and not allowing it to be absorbed
Helps make platelets less sticky; helping to prevent blood clots
Helps improve kidney function
Helps with fat loss
May increase free testosterone in men while decreasing testosterone metabolite DHT, which is known to contribute to prostate growth, both benign and malignant.
Decreases chronic inflammation levels
Helps prevent hardening of the arteries
Packed with antioxidants
Promotes hormone balance
There are 3 compounds in flaxseed that make it such a powerful superfood:
1. Lignans - Flax seed contains the highest food source of lignans. These are chemical compounds called phytoestrogens. Lignans have been shown to help improve the skin, digestion, cardiovascular health, cholesterol levels and hormone balance. It has also been found to help prevent cancer.
2. ALA (Alpha-linolenic acid) is a plant-based Omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acid that has shown in studies to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and hypertension, improve platelet function, reduce inflammation, promote healthy endothelial cell function (artery walls), helps protect bone health, prevents cancer cells from latching onto healthy cells.
3. Fiber - flaxseed contains 3 grams of fiber per tablespoon.
In order for flaxseed to be beneficial, it needs to be ground into a powder. However, don’t buy it from the store pre-ground. Buy it whole and use either a blender or coffee grinder. The excess should be put in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator.
It’s best to start eating flaxseed in small quantities. Start by putting 1 tablespoon of ground flax on your salad, on your breakfast, in a smoothie, etc. Gradually add more until you get to the therapeutic levels:
Diabetes: 1+ tbsp ground/day
Cholesterol: 2+ tbsp/day
Blood pressure: 4 tbsp/day
Are you looking for an affordable, supported, strategic path to reverse or prevent Type 2 Diabetes?
Click here to get more information about how we can make this happen.